Friday, February 01, 2008

That's What it Tastes Like

I was so tempted to leave you all with a recipe the other day, that's how victorious I was feeling in the cooking department. A couple nights ago we made homemade pizza. This is not an unusual thing for our family. We've been doing this, usually weekly, for several years now. I'll make the pizza dough in my bread machine,buy the ingredients- which must include fresh mozzarella (in a ball or packaged in water). I'll put out three pans, and then the bake off begins.

Bill usually pairs off with Abby, Alex does his solo thing with extra, extra cheese, and I will do the pizza with mushrooms or lately, a white broccoli. But the other night I had come home with a package of frozen buffalo chicken bites. And I had an idea for a new pizza- after remembering one of the boys at Alex's birthday party requesting a buffalo chicken pizza. I had never heard of that before. (I lead a sheltered life).

So, we each made our pizzas. I spread a little of the mozzarella over the well oiled dough, squirted some blue cheese dressing all over that, spread the pizza sauce over that, then added more cheese. Lastly, I place the the buffalo chicken bites all over the pizza, and sprinkled with parmesan and more mozzarella. I put my pizza and the other two in the oven. The verdict? Surprisingly the kids voted my pizza as the best one that night. (Usually Alex wins because his pizzas are so loaded with cheese).

So what does my beautiful, prize winning, buffalo chicken pizza have to do with anything? I'm glad you asked. Here's my epiphany: sometimes we surprise ourselves when we create something wonderful- and didn't intend to do so. It's not a big thing that I made a great tasting pizza. But it is a big thing that I was creative, somewhat successful,and that there was a positive response to what I had made.

One of the joys we have in this life is the ability to do things and to do them well, do them with a flourish and a sparkle.But even better than that is when someone responds to what we are offering, what we are creating. Maybe it had been a long time since my kids said "Wow, Mom, that meal was incredible!". (Actually, I'm sure that it has been a long time since they said that). But what surprised me more than hearing their positive response was the joy that I suddenly felt, the sense of accomplishment.

I may go from pizza making to some other creative pursuits. I may go on to bigger things. But I won't even try unless I've got the taste of success in my mouth.

" When you eat the labor of your hands, you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you." Psalm 128:2

8 comments:

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

That's so true! I think my best recipes are the ones I came up with on the spur of the moment! Last night I wanted to make chili and didn't have any tomato sauce, so I used Spicy V8 juice! Wowza it was GOOD! I'll be perfecting it and sharing it soon.

Unknown said...

I was wondering where you were going on this one and once again, you have an amazing talent of insight. (And all that writing about pizza made me hungry!) :)

Kim S in SC said...

OK, now I'm hungry...for pizza and for whatever you serve up on your next plate of blog soup! :) I always leave here feeling like I've been fed, and usually with a taste of something new! Go be creative!

Deb said...

Your pizza sounds yummy, but what you wrote about how we respond to other people's responses to our creativity is real food for thought!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

I'm just about to make an apple crisp. Thinking of you all and wishing we could all sit down at a table and chat...and eat our prize winning recipes!

Shosannah said...

Mmmm I love homemade pizza!
Making something special for those we love is such a joy. And I think I might borrow that recipe too:0)
Have a great weekend:0)

God's girl said...

A sense of accomplishment is a wonderful feeling! What a fun family thing to do together. You make me smile!
Much love,
Angela

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Whether you make pizza with family or friends, it's always a good time. The sloppier the mess, the better the time everyone has!