Friday, February 29, 2008

Be Still, My Beating Heart!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Masterpiece Classic, March 9 p.m. EST

Emma is not one of my favorites of all the Jane Austen books.
The character, herself, is privileged and protected. She is also so unaware of her lack of wisdom and discernment. That's just my take on the story. The funny part about this story is the matchmaking gone awry. I've attempted to play matchmaker a couple times in my life, too. (And oh, what a mess I made!).

I think a lot of women enjoy seeing a match made, and feeling like they had part in something good happening.
I'm not sure men get into this, though. (Any male readers, please comment!) I don't know if men understand or think about the mystery behind two souls being drawn to each other. For women, it seems like we need to hear the story over and over- the story of love prevailing, love making a way, love conquering all.

I've gone through periods where I read intensely all kinds of non fiction: how-to's, devotionals, memoirs, and biographies. Then I'll go through a period where I need some fiction: I need a story to take me away from it all. I need a light hearted romance where I can laugh at the character's silliness or their stumbling and bumbling around. Then there are also the stories that touch my soul, are deeply moving, sad and profound. These stories remind me to allow myself to feel pain, embrace the experiences I am going though, and keep moving on into fresh new ideas and hope and dreams.

All this to say, ( I feel like a kid about to tell you my wonderful new secret)-I'm heading over to our local Library's Used Book Sale today.
$1.00 for hardcovers, .50 for paperbacks. That's a whole lot of joyous feasting for my soul. I'm going to walk out of there laden with books, my shoulders aching from hauling off my bounty, my soul reveling in the new ideas and stories that await me when I open the cover of the next book I read.

11 comments:

TexasTesla said...

I love my local library's yearly book sale. So many wonderful little books can be discovered this way - books that maybe aren't carried by the big stores, or get lost on the thousands of shelves out there.

twinklemom said...

Thank you for reminding me about the library! I need to find out when they have a sale (praying I can get a bookshelf in the bedroom)(

Anonymous said...

Hello, Lauren,
I haven't been on in awhile. Great post! I have been taking care of family. ; )
On the subject of book sales-- I love them! Acquiring new or used books seems to brighten any day!

I took a quote off of Randy Alcorn's website:

"Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can read is nothing less the soul reaching towards infinity...we cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their access reassurance."
~ by A. E. Newton

This has become one of my favorite quotes! I love to read! There is comfort, adventure and inspiration in books. It reveals human nature and beauty of the Lord's creativeness! I enjoy reading biographies, fiction, and Christian Living.(Christian living - can sometimes put undue expectations on one's life)

Miriam

LadyD said...

Happy Shopping!
Sounds like a fun day~
I can't wait till the littles are big and I can have time to read again, don't think I have read a book for 12 years~
And the sad thing is that I love to read!
Hope you found some good ones!

I love the quote Miriam!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Oh, have we got some book worms here!
(Can we come up with a more pleasant term for those who love to read ? I mean, really- "worms"? Whoever came up with that expression?!!!)

twinklemom said...

Hmm? "Book chicks?" Lol

I have your site tagged as one of my top *5* I love to read...If I'm not reading a book...I love coming here to read your blog!

Anonymous said...

Intriguing post. Characters in books can certainly be engaging. Readers may or may not identify with exactly what is happening in a story, but we can learn things about ourselves from experiences of characters we read about. What we would or wouldn't do and why is part of it. Gaining foresight that we can apply in our lives is useful as well.

Praise and Coffee said...

Have a blast!!!!
Sue

Amy Wyatt said...

I hope you will let us know what great treasures you find!

God's girl said...

I may have to check that movie out. I just watched "Becoming Jane" and was thinking of you and how you like Jane Austin so much.
Much love,
Angela

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Yes- Instead of being called Book Worms, lets call ourselves Book Chicks!!
(Think of those cute yellow, fuzzy chicks-not those brown earth worms that fill your driveway when it rains and you have to get out of your car and walk on them (splish, splat)...oh wait a minute, this is one of those bad memories I have of something that happened to me as a child. Now I know why I hate that Book Worm expression!! :)