Saturday, August 15, 2009

Back to School

This is going to be one busy week. I don't know why I am doing all this laundry and sorting and packing because when my son gets back to his college campus down south, it'll be the end to all that neat organized arrangement of things. His clothes will be everywhere. He will be everywhere (on campus and off campus on his jaunts to concerts). And I will be back here, up north, missing him, and wondering how he is doing.

But hey, I'm a veteran now. This is his second year away from home, at college. This is my second year of missing him but also enjoying the fact that my son is launched, off and running, on his way, and all those other cliches that let you know one era of life has ended and another has begun.

But I'm happy. I'm not crying or mourning the fact that he's leaving. He's as much part of my heart as ever, even though we spend more and more time apart. This is what it means for him to be an adult, and this is what it means for me to be the mother of a child-now-adult.

What it also means is that my praying has changed. How I pray for my son, now, as opposed to when he was a child, is so different. I pray for him to have wisdom, good judgment, sober thinking- because I don't need to pray that he'll enjoy life and grab it by the tail, cause he's already doing that.

And so I'm going to live well and strong as well. There's a lot more for me to learn and experience- even if I'm not at a college campus.

4 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

I've got a few more years before firstborn is off to college, but the more I read of other mothers' experiences with saying goodbye, it prepares me just a little more. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You are right, the prayers do change as our children move on in life and grow older. Stay strong, sister - I know you have such faith!

hugs,
becky

Robin said...

Amen sister! I'm right there with you as my son leaves today...blessings to you and your family!

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Thanks for all the loving thoughts and prayers!