Friday, June 05, 2009

Another Open Door

I'd like to say that I haven't been posting as much because I've been too busy "doing" my faith (and not just praying about matters of faith)- but it's not quite true. I've been contemplative. That's a scholarly way of saying you're not doing much; that you're "simmering" your thoughts as you contemplate making decisions. Concrete decisions.

I'll tell you more, later, about the decisions I'm faced with, but I want you to know that when I say "that I'm faced with" that these are not grim-faced decisions I have to make. Not at all.

Lately I've been thinking about the gift of Choice, and how glad I am that I don't have to be a robot or a spiritual puppet or a meek mouse. I'm a grown woman and I get to act like one. This is the positive side of aging: you get to become more wise, and you should be getting wiser, even if you're getting more wrinkled.

That's nothing better than having a choice, or a say-so, in an important matter. And anything, really, having to do with your life, your values, your hopes, your children, your dreams- is an important matter.

So I'm feeling wealthy (again) because of the richness of Choice. I'm feeling inspired, again, because of the possibilities.

It's Friday, and it's the weekend. And just planning what we'll eat for dinner tonight is making me smile like a mischievous cat. If you haven't felt mischievous or felt like frolicking, maybe you haven't been feeling like you have many choices or many opportunities.

Tonight, instead of counting your blessings and naming them one by one, try counting the choices before you- even if it's only what you'll eat for dinner, when you'll go to bed, what you would like to dream about. Maybe by the time you wake up and the sun shines on you and infuses you with warmth, maybe you'll keep counting all the opportunities and choices you have before you. Maybe you'll see more and more. And then you'll wonder, like me, why you never saw them before.

No comments: