Friday, August 03, 2007

Charging Up the Mountain

Charging up the mountain, last night, all I could think was I've got to get to my daughter! She had called me from camp, just an hour earlier, sobbing into the phone- she was sick to her stomach, overheated, and overwrought. My heart not only went out to her- I went out to her!

When the cell phone connection suddenly died, while I was trying to find out how ill she was, I panicked over not being able to hear her voice, and more than that- knowing she needed to hear mine. I grabbed a printout from map quest and ran to the car. Give me God-speed I prayed.
I wasn't sure if I could remember the long winding route up the nearby mountain to her camp.
I made it half way there, and then got lost. It was pitch black out, and there were few lit buildings on the road. At a traffic light, I saw a man on a motorcycle pull up. I opened my window and called out to him. He's either going to attack me or help me- let it be the latter, Lord! When another guy walked up, from nowhere, I then had two people to point me on my way up the mountain .

I was practically driving a rocket - that's how steep the climb was up the mountain. There were few street lights and lots of curves. Oh, Lord- you know how all those times when I got mad and cried out 'Just take me home now, Lord'- well, I don't mean it. Please let me not fall off this mountain! I want to live! Darkness and fear makes an honest woman of us all!

I finally made it to the camp, and there was my daughter at the doorway. I hugged her tight. She felt very warm, but I knew she'd be fine. Everything would be okay. And it is.

I don't know why I go shooting out into the dark every time I hear a distress call- but I can't help it. I don't like the idea of anyone being alone and sick and afraid. There are too many women battling depression, anxiety and fear- who feel so alone. The battle is not what I want to liberate them from- I can't always take away the things that cause distress in women's lives. But I don't want anyone to feel alone in the battle. There's nothing worse than a lone soldier who feels left behind by the battalion. There's nothing so traumatizing as crying out for help- and no one can hear you.

But there IS Someone who always hears your every cry, Someone who not only can get up the mountain every time- but HE made the mountain. He can also move it, too- with just one word. So can you.


And He said to them, "... if you have faith the size of a mustard
seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,'
and it will move;and nothing will be impossible to you. Matt 17:20


Yet, the biggest mountain we should want to move is the mountain that keeps someone from seeing and experiencing the love of God.

"If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 1 Cor 13:2

Moving mountains or charging up them...it's all in a day's work for a mom, for any woman who is out to share the love of Christ with those who need His hug.

3 comments:

Melissa Milbourn said...

Hey Lauren! So glad to see that you stopped by my blog. I LOVE this post that you've written! Many blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren!
Just trying again to get a response posted on your website--so far I have not had the best of LUCK in doing so!

Glad you were able to get to your daughter during her illness. Your compassion and mercy gift really defines you as an awesome MOMMY!
I pray she is doing better and enjoying her summer camp!

In His unending Amazing Grace,
Lisa
http://lisaheidrich.wordpress.com
visit my website and get HELP for your HORMONES today!

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Hi Lauren,
Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment at my blog! So how is it going up there in your neck of the woods? Is your theme song right now, "The heat is on?" Just checking! Smiles!
Lysa TerKeurst